Monday, January 30, 2017

'Stranger Things' Acceptance Speech at SAG Awards


Speaking of cultural politics and television as a cultural forum, I'd like to share with everyone the Stranger Things acceptance speech (for Outstanding Performance in an Ensemble in a Drama Series) at the 2017 SAG Awards. In a time in which the U.S. president continuously belittles the impact of Hollywood actors, and their corresponding performances/narratives, I find this to be a great of example of direct challenge and critique.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, you know I enjoy Stranger Things as my 'chewing gum' for my brain. However, Winona Ryder's expressions are killing me. Her facial expressions are undermining David Harbour's words. ---Perhaps she didn't know he was going to say that. She was for it at the end? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica, I *LOVED* her expressions. (You have to see this: https://twitter.com/MatthewACherry/status/826086662006398978) I feel like they all didn't know he was necessarily going to go *that* far politically with his speech, but also I'm sure she was even surprised they won, and also, I mean, I'm sure they've had some drinks at this point during the show. Either way, the Internet has seemed to share the speech, but now only her facial expressions are the item being discussed (probably because its just too meme worthy). I think it's very fair to say they are undermining his speech, especially in light of this.

    ReplyDelete